Connecting with people and nurturing those connections can easily be one of the most beneficial things that you can do. Simply start being aware of other people and how you connect with them. Posted below are a few tips on how to better connect with people. Once you start building connections a new world of possibilities opens up. You can even go beyond connections and build networks and communities of people.
Just being mindful of others is a great way to get started on connecting with them. Notice if you will the people that you meet on a daily basis. How do they act when they see you? How do you act? Do you smile at each other, or do you barely acknowledge each others presence? Visualize if you will a cord connecting you to everyone that you meet. Everyone is interconnected and we just can’t see it. Another thing to try is to see yourself through their eyes; have you ever imagined what it’s like to see yourself from another person’s point of view? Here are a few other tips to help you get started:
- Make eye contact- This may be hard from some people but it helps just don’t hold it for too long.
- See them as a gift- Everyone you meet as something to teach you, learn from them.
- Listen – This is important, most often people wait to reply but not to understand. So be intent on understanding when you listen.
- Share yourself – You are a gift too, when someone shares something with you, share something in return.
- Choose – You are free to choose who you make friends with, choose the kind of people who will build you up and not the ones who would tear you down.
- See the best in people – Sometimes people have bad days and if you meet someone on a bad day then it could taint your view of them. Give them the benefit of doubt until they prove you wrong.
- Respect and accept them – Acceptance is important, just because someone is different than you doesn’t mean that they deserve to be treated poorly. Give them respect.
- Be sincere – Sincerity goes a long way in creating true friendship, spread that everywhere!
- Don’t think that people are too good for you – We are all people all living on this planet and we all die too. Everyone breathes the same air so, relax and take a deep breath and connect with everyone from the homeless person on the street to the world famous stars.
Once you have started connecting with others you can start building networks or communities of people that can benefit everyone. Many self published authors have successfully built communities by making friends and connecting with the people who read their work. This connection and camaraderie really does go far, some authors have sold millions of copies by building communities of around 10,000 people. Not only authors benefit from online communities but wikis online communities built on sharing knowledge are changing the way we learn. You too can start an online or offline community; just start making connections and watch them grow.
Here are ten necessities for successful communities:
- Safety and trust – People need to feel safe and trust you, if the trust is lost then, there goes the sense of safety.
- Openness – Be open with each other, it builds upon the trust to be able to communicate how you feel to each other.
- Respect – When you communicate do so with a sense of respect to each other and you will find that this improves bonds.
- Responsiveness – Be responsive to concerns and listen to make sure that you understand what is being said.
- Collaboration – Work together to build your community and build off of each others ideas; many successful websites work this way.
- Relevance – Keep up with what is relevant to the community; lizard care may not be so relevant to a community of cat lovers!
- Challenge – Make challenges whether for fun or for improving group structure challenge brings benefits and strengthens bonds.
- Enjoyment – By enjoying each others company, input, and creativity you strengthen the bonds that you have built.
- Empowerment – To further strengthen the bonds of the community you should empower people, lift them up, and show them that they too have power.
- Being a part of a larger community – Altogether just being a pert of something can change the outlook of many people and they can take pride in creating the community along side of you.
Remember, to build communities start with small connections one person at a time. It starts as simple as noticing and being aware of other people, realize that we are all connected naturally. If you can remember the steps to connection and the steps to community building then, you can go out and be successful in connection and community building.